Home Projects

Projects

Griffin PowerMate in .Net

I’m currently working on Using the Griffin PowerMate USB device from the .Net world.

HammerSound

I’m the creator and webmaster for the HammerSound webpage, which hosts (what I think is) the largest library of free SoundFonts available on the web.

Programming projects in the nineties

In 1993/1994 I made a program that transferred disk-images for my Ensoniq EPS sampler to and from the PC, this program was used to exchange sounds with other Ensoniq users on the web. The most challenging part of the project was a lot of low level IRQ programming to controll the Floppy controller, as the format of the disk was definetly not DOS.

In 1995 I did a box-and-arrow (boxes do processing, arrows transmit data) program called ‘SIGMA’. With a few basic building blocks (i.e. boxes, like a mathematical function evaluator, wave file reader & writer, envelope generator) I was able to implement several basic synthesis techniques, like FM, AM, Additive synthesis, Waveshaping – never got around to filtering. Nowadays ‘everybody’ is doing these sort of programs, I’m sure there must be at least 10-20 such programs for the PC and a lot for NEXT/UNIX too.

In 1995/1996, as a part of my post-graduate thesis, I created a 3D sound system, called ‘SimSound’ using a PC with 3 soundcards, varying volume, pan, reverb and filtering to simulate 3D sound for 1-4 people standing in the middle of a circle with 6 speakers. SimSound got it’s object coordinates via ethernet (udp/ip) from a SGI Onyx who did all the graphics.

In spring 1997, I made a small program called ‘Pax’ that convert Joystick x and y data to midi. Great for manipulating the SoundBlaster AWE NRPN Midi parameters like Filter Cutoff and Resonance.

The summer of 1997, I made a program called ‘The Source’ whose purpose was to see if I could create a ‘MIDI + Joystick INPUT controls a simple arpeggiator who controls a simple synthesis engine (2-op FM & PWM) which generates real-time output’. It worked quite ok if you accept a 200ms delay (on a Pentium 133), which of course makes it non-realtime – but at least the audio output was continious.

Using my experience & code from the SimSound project, It took me about 1 day to make sf2load, a program that assists users of the SoundBlaster AWE soundcard in the use of SoundFonts, sf2load is available from HammerSound.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

HTML tags are not allowed.